Sunday 2 February 2014

A Blast From The Past - Matchbox Style!!

Clearing out my mum's loft the other day because, well, it needs it I found a couple of things:

1.  Judging by the number of  toy lorries/ buses up there my Father wasn't a member of the Corgi Collector's Club... he WAS the Corgi Collector's Club.

2. Hidden in an old shoe box were the models shown below.  These were all put together by my Dad in about 1980/ 81 and were used by myself whilst conducting war on a 1/72 scale!  The models each came with a diorama base, some of which are shown although I don't have the full set to match the models remaining.

These weren't the first ones though.  prior to this in the 70s it was the Airfix sets with the Coastal Emplacements and the pontoon bridge but I don't have those any more.  I do still have masses of the 1/72 scale soldiers.  I feel another blog stream coming on...

Although I can't see myself keeping them around (I thought they'd been bunged ages ago), I thought some photos on the blog would be nice. 

 What were your earliest experiences with modelling/ wargaming?


This one's been in the wars.  One handed Commander and three wheels missing.



My favourite.  The others may go but this one may be held.  I just think the Hanomag is a very iconic vehicle.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

My favourite of all the scenic bases is shown below but I'm missing the accompanying motorbike/ side car combo and the anti tank gun...and the driver!
 
 

Now I remember spraying this one with deodorant thinking that it would give a nice Eastern Front winter effect. 
 


1 comment:

  1. I've got that kind of weathering on some of the things kept in the garage !

    Oooh. I remember my dad had a load of Airfix 1/72 models, mostly Battle of Britain, hanging from threads in loft like some mad dogfight.

    I went on to make a hurricane with black and brown camouflage and then a Harrier GR1, which my parents said was the best one I'd ever made, but only after I smashed it in a temper tantrum.

    ReplyDelete